Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the Thursday magazine(submitted by Mehru)
- 1⁄2 kg chicken, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons gram flour
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups low-fat plain yogurt, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1⁄4 teaspoon methi seeds
- 3 -4 red chilies
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
To be ground into a paste
- 4 teaspoons roasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh coconut, grated
- 8 -10 pistachios
- 8 -10 almonds
- 4 -5 green chilies
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Saute the onion in it till it turns light brown.
- Add ginger-garlic pastes and saute till the raw smell is gone.
- Add turmeric, corriander, cumin, garam masala powders and salt.
- Fry well.
- Now, add the chicken pcs.
- Stir-fry, allowing the spices to blend with the chicken.
- Fry until the chicken is nicely browned.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes on low flame.
- Put the yoghurt in a bowl.
- Add gramflour, 1/2 cup water and the ground paste to it.
- If the mixture is too thick, you can add some more water.
- Add the yoghurt mixture to the chicken.
- Bring to a boil on low flame, stirring all the time, to prevent curdling.
- By now, the chicken will be tender.
- Check for this.
- If not, then cook for a few more minutes on low flame.
- Just before serving, prepare the following seasoning:.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add methi seeds, cumin seeds and red chillies.
- Once these stop sizzling, toss this mixture into the chicken.
- Stir well and serve hot with rotis, naan or parathas.