1/3 Photos of Chicken Khao Soi
"A simple curry paste gives this northern Thai–inspired soup surprising depth of flavor." - Bon Appetit .... EDIT: So I finally made this, and it came out tasting incredible. The soup is a delicious but unexciting Asian noodle soup; the add-ins are what really make it shine though. I served each bowl with limes, bean sprouts, fresh cilantro leaves, sambal oelek and crispy fried onions. I'd recommend the fried onions especially.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large dried guajillo chilies, stemmed & halved & seeded
- 2 shallots, peeled & halved
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 inches ginger, peeled & sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, halved lengthwise
- 1 lb Chinese egg noodles or 1 lb ramen noodles or 1 lb rice noodles
- 3 -4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- sliced red onion, bean sprouts, cilantro sprigs, crispy fried onions, chili oil, and lime wedges (all optional for serving)
- 1Place chiles in a small heatproof bowl, add boiling water to cover, and let soak until softened, 25–30 minutes.
- 2Drain chiles, reserving soaking liquid. Purée chiles, shallots, garlic, ginger, cilantro, coriander, turmeric, curry powder, and 2 tablespoons soaking liquid in a food processor, adding more soaking liquid by tablespoonfuls, if needed, until smooth. You've just made khao soi paste!
- 3Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add khao soi paste; cook, stirring constantly, until slightly darkened, 4–6 minutes. Add coconut milk and broth. Bring to a boil; add chicken. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is fork-tender, 20–25 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate. Let cool slightly; shred meat.
- 4Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions.
- 5Add chicken, 3 tablespoons fish sauce, and sugar to soup. Season with salt and/or more fish sauce, if needed. Divide soup and noodles among bowls and serve with toppings.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Khao Soi
Serving Size: 1 (365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 770.9
- Calories from Fat 372
- Total Fat 41.3 g
- Saturated Fat 27.8 g
- Cholesterol 158.2 mg
- Sodium 1089.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 38.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried guajillo chilies