Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is not your typical chickie pie. It's actually a tart. I know how some prefer roasting your own chicken, and then there are those who appreciate any shortcut. This one uses one of those roasted birds from the deli that I love when in a hurry. Since Pop got his Foreman meaty-go-round for Christmas, we've been experimenting with different seasonings. I can't wait to roast up another bird and try this one from our own seasonings. This is fancy enough for your out..uh...in-laws and easy enough for a Wednesday night supper.
- 1 roasted deli chicken
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- cooking sherry, to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 roasted red pepper, sliced in strips (from the jar)
- 1 green pepper, sliced in strips
- 9 inches baked sweet tart crust (NOT SWEET, Zaar is being contrary)
- Pick all the meat off the chicken and discard bones and skin.
- Melt the butter in a pot. Stir in the flour and whisk constantly. Slowly add the chicken stock and milk, continuing to stir constantly until thickened. Stir in the meat, mushrooms, peppers, sherry, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour into the shell and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- NOTE: For a fancier way to serve, place sheets of phyllo in muffin tins and bake, making phyllo cups. Fill each cup with the chicken mixture and sprinkle a dash of paprika on top or garnish with mushrooms slices or slivers of peppers.