Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This just seems like the ideal dish for summer and barbecuing season!
For the kebabs
- 6 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
For the salad
- 1 kg new potato
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch mint or 1 bunch basil
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Slice the chicken into kebab size pieces.
- Put the garlic along with a sprinkling of salt and pepper in a bowl large enough to hold all the chicken.
- Add the thyme, lemon juice and olive oil- mix together in the bowl.
- Mix the chicken into the marinade, stirring to coat completely.
- Cover and chill while you make the salad.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender but not mushy.
- Cut into thick slices and put in a serving bowl.
- Pick the leaves off the basil or mint and place in a blender.
- Do the same to the rosemary and add those too.
- Add the garlic, vinegar and virgin olive oil and some salt and pepper.
- Blitz until you have a green purée.
- Spoon the purée over the potatoes and mix thoroughly.
- Now it's time to cook the kebabs.
- Make sure your cooking instrument of choice (BBQ or grill) is nice and hot.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers, shaking off any excess marinade.
- Lay on the cooking surface and cook for about three minutes a side, turning as the chicken forms a thick, golden crust.
- Serve with potato salad and side dishes of your choice.
We really liked this! Very easy! I marinated the chicken for a several hours in the fridge (I did end up adding more olive oil to coat everything.) I even cooked the kabobs on my George Foreman grill! I cooked them for 3-4min. I used rice wine vinegar since that was all I had, and I didn't have any fresh herbs, so I used dried ones (about a teaspoon for every "sprig") and it was still delicious. I bet it'd be even better with fresh ones! I served red grapes along side everything. Fabulous, simple summer dinner! We're having it again tonight.
The seasoning blend was perfect for the chicken, very simple but still very tasty. Thanks
This was excellent as a light dinner dish on a hot summers evening. I used basil in the herbed sauce and added a little seasoned rice vinegar as well as the wine vinegar; the sauce smelt 'powerful' but was delicious on the potatoes. I also added mushrooms to the kebabs and plan to try marinating longer next time. A big hit with the family and definetly destined to become an alltime favourite.