Recipe by Olha
Coke does a nice job of tenderizing chicken. Combined with vinegar for power and cardamom for fragrance, the flavor of this marinade holds up well during cooking. Ground cardamom is available in supermarket spice departments. Serve with rice and a cucumber salad.
Top Review by Brandess
I made this recipe exactly as written with no deviations. This was good and definitely not your normal marinade. I really enjoyed the pairing of the cardamom with the cola. I find this to be a well balanced mixture of flavors and will be using this marinade in the future. Chef adopted for the My 3 Chefs Event.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- 1 (12 ounce) can Coca-Cola
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar or 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt (kosher or coarse sea salt)
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3 lemon zest, strips each 1 inch wide
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the chicken breasts and pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients. Add the chicken, stir to coat, cover, and marinate for 2 hours at room temperature or as long as overnight in the refrigerator.
- Prepare a direct heat fire in an open charcoal grill.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and thread onto metal skewers. Pour the marinade into a small pot.
- Place the marinade over high heat, bring to a boil, and boil until reduce to 1/2 cup, about 12 minutes. The marinade will darken and thicken.
- Arrange the skewers on the grill rack and grill, turning once and basting frequently with the boiled marinade, until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove to a serving platter and serve. Serves 4 to 6.
- 150 Great Recipes for all Seasons Chicken.