Recipe by English_Rose
An unusual, sweet-tasting curry from Ching-He Huang adds a South East Asian touch to an Indian-style curry.
Top Review by deb k
Our friend lived over seas for a year. When he came home he told us about this incredible dish. We found this recipe and made it for him and he thought it was the BOMB! I love the banana in it (but it turned me off at first when I read the ingredients). Going to make it again (for the 4th time) for him tomorrow. It's one of those dishes that everyone sits around in the kitchen to watch the cook make it and can't wait to eat it. Just love it exactly the way it is written. Thank you English Rose! ;-)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 cups water
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
For the chicken
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 tablespoons breadcrumbs, dried
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for deep frying
For the vegetable curry sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion
- 2 carrots, diced, boiled
- 2 potatoes, diced, boiled
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the garlic, onions and apples.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Pour over 1 cup of the water and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the banana, honey, turmeric, curry powder and ketchup.
- Add the chicken broth and bring the sauce to boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the cornstarch with the remaining cup water, and add to the curry sauce.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Tip the sauce into a large sieve or colander placed over a bowl, reserving any katsu curry sauce that drips into the bowl.
- While the sauce is cooking, prepare the chicken breasts.
- With a sharp knife, make two diagonal slashes across each breast and coat the chicken in flour on both sides.
- Dip each chicken portion in beaten egg, and then roll them in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a wok and deep fry the chicken, two pieces at a time, for 3-4 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- Remove from the pan, drain on absorbent paper and keep warm while you finish making the curry.
- For the vegetable curry, melt the butter in a separate saucepan, and add the onions, carrots and potatoes.
- Stir and fry for 5-8 minutes, over a moderate heat, until just beginning to turn golden.
- Pour in the prepared katsu curry sauce, bring to a boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Slice the chicken breasts into strips and serve with a heap of steamed rice.
- Accompany with the piping hot vegetable curry sauce.