Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A chicken rolled in a roti. A quick meal for leftover gravy and flat bread
- 250 g all-purpose flour (You can gradually substitute this with whole wheat flour as you get the hang of the rotis)
- 2 potatoes, boiled and mashed/grated
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 500 g boneless chicken, cubed
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, ground to a paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 sour lime, juice of
- onion, thinly sliced mixed with
- mint chutney (Helen's Mint Chutney)
- This recipe for mint chutney is the one I have always used it is lovely as a sandwich spread with vege fillings like cucumbers, tomatoes and boiled potatoes or grilled chicken and onions.
- You can add a little yoghurt to the chutney to tone down the spice and add a litle creaminess to the spread.
- This is a good dip for raw vege sticks too.
- To prepare dough Mix the flour (I use atta i. e whole wheat flour mostly) with the grated/ mashed potato, oil, salt and knead into a firm but soft dough of rolling consistency with a little water.
- Keep aside covered To prepare filling Heat oil.
- Add onion paste and cook till light brown Add ginger-garlic paste and cook for 1 min Add tomato and cook till it turns soft Add chilli powder Add chicken and cover and cook on low flame till it turns tender and dry Remove from fire and keep aside Squeeze lemon juice to taste and a pinch of salt (You can replace this filling recipe with any other boneless chicken preparation. I use any leftover curry or gravy and also any other meat) Mixed the sliced onions with the chutney Keep aside Beat eggs and add a pinch of salt and pepper Keep aside Make thin chapatis out of the dough (Like tortillas) At serving time heat griddle pan Add a little oil and fry chappati on one side only Do not turn Pour 2 tsp of egg on the roti and spread Flip the roti to cook the egg Remove from pan keeping egg side up Arrange chicken filling in the centre Sprinkle onions on the filling and roll roti to form a roll Serve wrapped in a paper towel or cling film.