Recipe by CelticBrewer
A karahi (also spelled karai - both pronounced the same "ka-rai") is a type of thick, circular, and deep vessel (similar in shape to a wok). This is the Pakistani chicken dish that I most often prepare and was taught to me by the owner of a Paki restaurant. Like many of their dishes, it's spicy (but not necessarily hot) and takes quite a few steps to complete. But it's MORE than worth the trouble. I always serve with Roti
Top Review by vickirecipes
Really like this, added tomato paste to the pot and simmered it covered for 15 minutes or so, then took the lid off for another 5-10 minutes, and the sauce became lovely and unctious. Also, fried off the spices before adding to the pot and only used 1/2 the recommended chilli powder as I just like a bit of heat, not too much.
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1⁄3 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cups Spanish onions, diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, diced
- 2 green chili peppers, diced
- 6 tablespoons fresh cilantro (including stems)
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 15 whole coriander seeds
- 7 whole cloves
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 tablespoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 tablespoon green cardamoms
- 1 tablespoon ground red chili pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare all ingredients before cooking.
- Slice thinly the 6 garlic cloves.
- Dice or chop the onions, tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro and keep seperate.
- Add ½ cup of oil (preferably ½ vegetable, ½ olive) to karai (wok) over med heat and warm.
- Add 15 whole coriander seeds and 7 whole cloves.
- After about 45 seconds, add 2 lbs of cubed boneless chicken. Stir until most of the outside of the chicken is not raw.
- Add the sliced garlic, ginger, juice of ¼ lime, onion, and tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Cook 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are softened.
- Add spices: 1 tablespoon ground coriander, 1 tablespoon garam masala, ¼ tablespoon turmeric, ½ tablespoon of salt (to taste), ¼ tablespoon green cardamom, 1 tablespoon (more or less to taste) ground hot red chili pepper.
- Add half of the cilantro, a pinch of the green chili peppers, and cook for a few more minutes.
- Plate and garnish with the remaining cilantro.