Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
The chicken cooks in a yummy, rich, tomato sauce. Pasta is the perfect foil.
- 3 lbs chicken, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 small dried red chili
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, crumbled
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄8 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, just less than
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Arrange chicken in single layer in baking dish.
- Cover with lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Let stand at room temperature 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, 40 minutes.
- Heat oil with butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drain chicken and pat dry; brown on all sides.
- Return to baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Pour sauce over chicken, cover with foil.
- Bake until chicken is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Discard spices and serve.
- The sauce is excellent and lends itself to this dish being served with buttered pasta (penne or rigatoni would be good).
ooooohhh....this was GOOOOOD! Big hit with everyone....even the fussy kid. The only change I made was tossing in a handful of pinenuts. Excellent!
Great recipe and very authentic! My family loved it and we'll be making this one again and again!
Yummo!I too did this as a OAMC and left the cinnamon stick in a snack size baggie by itself due to Erindipity's reviw. I assembled and then froze. I put the chicken in a bag by itself, as well the lemon juice, then bagged the other ingredients (minus the butter). Then bagged them all into a large freezer bag, with the recipe, and froze. Once thawed, I started at step 1 for the cooking process. We really loved it!