Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
A simple Greek chicken stew with tomato and cinnamon.
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup mizithra cheese
- Marinate chicken in salt, pepper and lemon juice for a few hours. Remove from marinade and pat dry.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or heavy pot. Brown chicken, in batches if necessary. Remove and set aside.
- Deglaze pot with red wine, then add cinnamon and bay leaf, tomato sauce, and chicken. If needed, top up with a small amount of wine and/or water to cover chicken.
- Cover and simmer on low for 1-2 hours.
- When the chicken is extremely tender, remove from the pot. Also remove cinnamon and bay leaf.
- With pot uncovered, reduce the remaining sauce to desired consistency.
- Serve chicken and sauce over pasta or orzo, sprinkled with mizithra.