Recipe by Steve P.
Thi is a traditional version of this Greek favorite Chicken and pasta dish. I"m posting it for a board request. The source for the recipe is The Complete Book of Greek Cooking
- 3 -4 lbs chicken, cut into serving pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 lb macaroni
- 1 cup kefalotiri, grated (fresh Parmesan may be used if Kefalotiri is not available)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and cinnamon.
- In a Dutch oven, melt 2 Tablespoons butter and brown chicken until golden on all sides.
- In a bowl combine tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and water and pour mixture over chicken.
- Add cinnamon sticks and bay leaf.
- In a medium-sized frying pan, melt 2 Tablespoons butter and saute onions, and garlic until onions are wilted.
- Add to chicken.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until chicken is tender, 50-60 minutes.
- In the last 20 minutes, cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Drain and empty into serving dish.
- Brown remaining butter and pour over macaroni.
- Place macaroni on a large serving platter.
- Place chicken and sauce over macaroni and sprinkle with grated cheese.