1/1 Photo of Chicken Kabuli Pulao (Afghanistan)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs chicken, cut up
- 1 large onion, sliced
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 pints hot water
- 1/4 lb white basmati rice
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- healthy pinch saffron, soaked in 1 tbs broth
- 1 large carrot, cut into match sticks
- 1/4 cup dark raisin
- 1/8 cup chopped pistachios (optional, toasted in a dry frying pan)
- 1/4 cup blanched slivered almond (optional, toasted in a dry frying pan)
- 1Place chicken pieces, onions and hot water in a large pot.
- 2Cover and simmer for about 1 hour.
- 3Add salt to taste.
- 4Remove chicken, reserving stock & discard cooked onions.
- 5Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 6Heat 2 tbs of the butter over medium high heat and fry chicken pieces containing bones, salting as needed.
- 7Boil a large amount of water with sea salt and cook the rice in it for exactly 8 minutes. Set aside in a pot until ready to assemble.
- 8Make stock sauce:
- 9Brown onions in butter and remove from heat.
- 10Add cardamom cumin, freshly ground black pepper & saffron liquid and mash with onion to form a paste.
- 11Add about 1/2 pt of the chicken stock; simmer for 5 minutes and taste for seasoning.
- 12Combine cooked rice, stock sauce as needed (I don't find it became a sauce so I added the onion paste with some broth as needed to finish cooking the rice) and chicken; place in a buttered casserole. Cover.
- 13Fry carrot matchsticks in 1/2 tbs butter and add dark raisins to them at the very end.
- 14Sprinkle partially cooked carrot matchsticks and raisins on top of chicken and rice and cover tightly with aluminum foil or cover.
- 15Place in oven for 35 minutes.
- 16Chopped toasted pistachios or slivered almonds may be added over the dish just before serving if so wished.
- 17There most probably will be left over stock that is very good even as a soup on it's own and probably served that way in an Afghani household.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Kabuli Pulao (Afghanistan)
Serving Size: 1 (550 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 809.6
- Calories from Fat 454
- Total Fat 50.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 192.9 mg
- Sodium 261.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 48.6 g