Recipe by grapefruit
dont remember where I got this recipe from -- I thought it was from Zaar but just did a search and doesnt seem to be here. It;s a wonderfully flavorful recipe for Kabsah
Top Review by UmmBinat
Was OK. Almost 4 1/2 stars but like others said the recipe is written very poorly, including the ingredients being listed in no particular order which made reading the recipe take a lot longer. I did not find it worth it for the amount of cooking time to use fresh tomatoes though I did. I prefer the raisins not cooked in the broth so I put less in the liquid which verified this to me. I used my own homemade chicken stock rather than the low-sodium chicken bullion cubes. I added 2 chopped cloves of fresh garlic to the onions near the end of cooking time. I also cooked another small onion with a couple dashes of salt and near the end of cooking time added a small handful of pine nuts to them and a tsp white sugar and served this on top of the chicken and rice. I don't think I will make this again.
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 3 -4 cups water
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons baharat (mixed spices)
- 3 teaspoons cardamom powder
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 6 teaspoons oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons raisins
- 1 roasting chicken, cut up
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1⁄2 low-sodium chicken bouillon cubes, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- heat oil. add onion and cardamom and stir over medium high heat till browned but not burnt.
- add boiling water and salt to taste as well as all the remaining ingredients except chicken.
- stir over medium heat till tomatoes turn soft. at this point, taste the broth and adjust seasonings if needed.
- add chicken. cover pot with foil and top with lid. boil 30 minutes.
- remove chicken and bake it at 350 F till golden.
- meanwhile, strain broth. return strained ingredients to pot and add 3 cups of the strained broth as well as rice.
- bring to a boil, then turn down heat to low and cook for about 10 mins or until rice is cooked (all the water will be absorbed at this point).
- place chicken in the middle of a platter, arrange rice around it.