Top Review by Annacia
I also used Recipe #492862 for the spice mix. The end result was still too Spiced for DH to even try but that is just him. Personally I enjoyed the recipe and in particular the saffron mix which I thought did something very nice for the recipe, Made for NA/ME's visit to United Arab Emirates.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces
- 12 cups water
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon cardamom pod
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons omani mixed spice
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 15 ounces chickpeas, drained
- 3 cups basmati rice, washed and drained
- 4 tablespoons sultanas or 4 tablespoons raisins
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons saffron threads, soaked in 1/4 cup rose water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chicken and water in a large pot and bring to a boil; add cinnamon, spices, Omani spice mix and bouillon.
- Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 30 minutes; remove chicken, then drain and reserve stock.
- Return 9 cups of the stock to the pot, adding additional water if needed; return to a boil, stir in rice, then cook 10 minutes; drain.
- Melt the ghee in the pot, saute chickpeas and raisins for 2 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Return the chicken to the pot, add the rice, sprinkle with the saffron and rose water, add chickpeas and raisins, cover, and coom u til the rice is tender, 25 minutes.