Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an Omani chicken and rice dish. For the Omani spices you can use Omani Spice Mix. The recipe comes from Nestle. They want you to use Maggi brand.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces
- 12 cups water
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon cardamom pod
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons omani mixed spice
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 15 ounces chickpeas, drained
- 3 cups basmati rice, washed and drained
- 4 tablespoons sultanas or 4 tablespoons raisins
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons saffron threads, soaked in 1/4 cup rose water
- Place the chicken and water in a large pot and bring to a boil; add cinnamon, spices, Omani spice mix and bouillon.
- Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 30 minutes; remove chicken, then drain and reserve stock.
- Return 9 cups of the stock to the pot, adding additional water if needed; return to a boil, stir in rice, then cook 10 minutes; drain.
- Melt the ghee in the pot, saute chickpeas and raisins for 2 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Return the chicken to the pot, add the rice, sprinkle with the saffron and rose water, add chickpeas and raisins, cover, and coom u til the rice is tender, 25 minutes.
I also used Recipe #492862 for the spice mix. The end result was still too Spiced for DH to even try but that is just him. Personally I enjoyed the recipe and in particular the saffron mix which I thought did something very nice for the recipe, Made for NA/ME's visit to United Arab Emirates.
Made as written although I cut the rice down by half and omitted the bouillon (using some broth instead of water for cooking the chicken). The end product needed more of the spices to add color. The chicken was served with freshly minced cilantro and parsley. I think I would have preferred this dish more if the chicken were pan fried. Recipe #492862 was used to make the spice mixture. Reviewed for NA*ME Explores Oman.