Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an Omani recipe for a chicken and rice dish. It comes from Nestle. For the Omani spices you can use Omani Spice Mix.
- 1 whole chicken, washed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons omani spices
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups basmati rice, washed and drained
- toasted almond, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season chicken with the salt and 1 tablespoon of the Omani spice mix.
- Roast chicken on a rack or in a baking dish for 45 minutes until it is cooked through and the skin has browned; remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the ghee, then add the onions and cook until golden, about 5 or 6 minutes.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of spice mix and garlic; add the bouillon and water.
- Once the mixture boils, stir in the rice; cover, reduce heat and cook on low for about 25 minutes until rice is tender.
- Serve rice with chicken on top.
- Garnish with toasted almonds.
Very mild and pleasant, will use more Omani Spice Mix next time. My NA*ME neighbor said that Chicken Kabouli (Muscat Style) would be more typically Omani, but she took home a large container of rice and chicken for her dinner tomorrow night. I bought the smallest chicken I could find, but the roaster took 1 1/2 hours; I think it would have been tastier had I used my Showtime rotisserie to baste the chicken as it cooked. Made for Please Review My Recipe.