Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an Omani chicken and rice dish. For the Omani spices you can use Omani Spice Mix. From Nestle.
- 2 lbs chicken pieces
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon whole cardamom pod
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 small cinnamon sticks
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 tablespoons omani spices
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 1⁄2 cups basmati rice, washed and drained
- Put the chicken pieces and water in a large pot and bring to a boil; add the spices and cinnamon sticks, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook 25 minutes (chicken will not be fully cooked), remove chicken, strain stock and reserve.
- Heat ghee in a large pot and brown the chicken on all sides, 6 minutes total; remove and set aside.
- Saute ginger a minute, stir in Omani spices; add chicken bouillon and 4 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the rice, cover, and cook over liw for 10 minutes.
- Return chicken, cover, and cook an additional 10 minutes until rice and chicken are fully cooked.
What a wonderful dish! I've never made chicken this way, and I'm glad I did now. It was even better the next day. Made it with the suggested spice mix. Thanks for sharing!
Made for Visit Oman / NAME Forum