This recipe has increadable flavor,is easy to make and has been the family for years. The marinade carmelizes on the chicken and vegetables, to give them a very unique flavor that complements the vegetables and chicken flavor. These are very low cal.(approx. 310cal. per 2 full skewers), and are quite filling. They are a summer favorite of our family. We serve them with rice or baked potatoe.You can cook them on the B-B-Q or oven. It sound like a very simple recipe, but the flavor isn't, there won't be any left overs. Try these, you will not be sorry.
- Mix the russian dressing,soya sauce and brown sugar in a bowl (no need to heat),I usually make a double batch so there is lots of marinade for the reserve. When well mixed, reserve 1/4 to 1/2 cup of marinade to use for brushing on the skewers.
- Cut chicken breast,onion and peppers into 1 to 2 inch cubes (chicken shrinks quite a bit so don't cut too small).
- Put chicken into the marinade and refegerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Soak wooden skewers for 1/2 hour or so.
- Take chicken out of fridge.
- Dip pepper in marinade and push onto skewer to the end, then chicken, then dip onion in marinade and push onto skewer.
- Repeat untill there is none left, alternating vegtables with chicken.
- You can also use straight vegetables if you want on some.
- Put skewers on Bar-B-Q or oven at 375 f.
- Turn and brush with reserve marinade frequently so the chicken doesn't dry out.
- Don't worry if the edges of the vegetables burn a little, it actually adds flavor just keep adding reserve marinade on top of them.
- Cook until chicken is cooked.(cut into to make sure).
- You can also use beef for the skewer if you like (I prefer chicken as the beef tends to dry out abit, plus not low cal.).
- Serve with rice or baked potatoes.