Chicken, italian sauage and a baguette cooked on the grill served in a ceasar salad. Doen't get any better than this! I saw this on Foodnetwork (Tyler Florence) and decided I had to make it! Big hit with my husband and the leftovers were a big hit at the office. Hope you enjoy-- and thanks Tyler for again.. a great recipe! Only change I would make, is parboil the sausage to ensure it's cooked thru.
For the kabobs
- 8 links sweet Italian pork sausage (parboil to ensure they will be cooked thorougly)
- 1 crusty baguette
- 2 -3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12 fresh bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the salad and dressing
- 2 anchovies
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese, shavings for garnish
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges, for garnish
- For the kebabs:
- Slice chicken thinly.
- Cut the baguette into 1/2-inch rounds.
- Cut the sausage links up into chunks,(half them) alternating cuts at 45 degree angles for nice triangular shapes.
- Take the skewers 2 at a time and begin threading the components alternately.
- Start with a piece of bread, chicken, bay leaf, sausage, and bread; repeat this 3 times to fill the skewers, ending with bread.
- I put these back in the refrigerator for 1 hour and continued as follows.
- Lay the prepared kabobs out on your board and drizzle liberally with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Squeeze the lemon juice all over and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the prepared kabobs onto preheated grill and cook for about 7 to 10 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- While kabobs are roasting you can prepare the salad.
- In a blender combine the anchovies, garlic, lemon juice, egg yolks and grated Parmesan. Pulse a couple of times to combine, then add the water and blend again. With the motor running, gradually pour the oil through the feed tube and continue to blend until emulsified. Season, to taste, with salt and some freshly ground black pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl add the chopped romaine.
- When the kabobs are done, remove from the gill and slide the kabob components off the skewers directly into the bowl. Add some dressing and gently toss to combine.
- To plate, garnish with parsley leaves, shaved Parmesan and fresh lemon wedges.