Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Super, easy dish to cook. Good to serve when entertaining as the thick spice mix clings to the chicken.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 3 onions, chopped
- 8 fluid ounces water
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground caraway
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cinnamon sticks, 2-inch long broken up
- 2 black cardamom pods, split open
- 4 cloves
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 fresh green chilies, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
- Cut the chicken joints into two.
- Put the chicken in a large pot with half of the onions, water, ginger, garlic, coriander, cumin, caraway, turmeric, chilli powder,cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves. Bring to the boil, stir, cover with a lid, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a separate pan heat the oil and fry the rest of the onions, till golden.
- With a slotted spoon remove the chicken and add to the fried onions. Retain the cooking water. Fry till the chicken is brown.
- Add half of the cooking liquid to the chicken and fry for 5 mins, add the remaining liquid and fry for 5 minutes
- Add the salt and tomato puree with the green chillies and coriander leaves, fry for 5 minutes.
- Serve with boiled rice and Tarka Dhal.