Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Simple to cook. Simple to serve. Simply super. We eat this with our fingers, it's that good. This dish we serve with a bbq, it makes a great starter, or when we want a night in front of the fire or television. It's comfort food with a big C. Serve with a Raita.
- 10 chicken legs (or mixed) or 10 chicken thighs (or mixed) or 10 chicken drumsticks (or mixed)
- 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 4 green cardamoms, split open
- 3 green chilies, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot, grated
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 cucumber, finely diced
- 1 green chili, seeded and diced
- 10 fluid ounces plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dry roast 1 tbsp of the cumin seeds for 5 minutes Set aside to cool.
- Heat the oil i n a heavy based pan and remaining cumin seeds with the peppercorns, and cardamom for 3 minutes.
- Add the chillies, garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the ground coriander, ground cumin and salt cook 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken thighs and legs stir to cover with the spices, cover with a lid and cook for 25 minutes over medium heat.
- When th chicken is cooked add the garam masala and toasted cumin seeds. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix together the cucumber, yogurt, chili, and salt. Sprinkle the ground cumin over the yogurt mix (Raita) and serve as a dip for the chicken.