1 hr 30 mins
In 'From a Southern Oven' by Jean Anderson
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 links sausage, sliced about 1/4-inch thick (8-9 oz . total wt, mild or hot)
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 2 large whole bay leaves (preferably fresh)
- 1 1/2 cups diced cook chicken (about equal parts dark and light meat)
- 1 cup diced cooked ham, preferably country ham
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with their liquid
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Spritz a 2 1/2 quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- 3Heat drippings in a heavy 12-inch skillet over med-high heat for 1-1 1/2 minutes until ripples appear on pan bottom.
- 4Add sausages and brown, stirring occasionally, 3-5 minutes.
- 5With slotted spoon, lift to bowl and reserve.
- 6Decrease heat to medium; add in onion, bell pepper, garlic, thyme, and bay leaves to drippings and cook, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes until limp and lightly browned.
- 7Return sausages and accumulated juices to skillet; add all remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil.
- 8Transfer to casserole, making sure all rice is covered with liquid, and cover with snug lid or foil tightly smoothed over casserole.
- 9Slide onto middle oven rack and bake about 45 minutes, flavors marry, and almost all liquid is absorbed; remove and discard bay leaves.
- 10Dish up at table and serve.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Jambalaya Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.9
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 47.1 mg
- Sodium 1006.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 15.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: