Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
In 'From a Southern Oven' by Jean Anderson
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 links sausage, sliced about 1/4-inch thick (8-9 oz . total wt, mild or hot)
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 2 large whole bay leaves (preferably fresh)
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced cook chicken (about equal parts dark and light meat)
- 1 cup diced cooked ham, preferably country ham
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes with their liquid
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spritz a 2 1/2 quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat drippings in a heavy 12-inch skillet over med-high heat for 1-1 1/2 minutes until ripples appear on pan bottom.
- Add sausages and brown, stirring occasionally, 3-5 minutes.
- With slotted spoon, lift to bowl and reserve.
- Decrease heat to medium; add in onion, bell pepper, garlic, thyme, and bay leaves to drippings and cook, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes until limp and lightly browned.
- Return sausages and accumulated juices to skillet; add all remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil.
- Transfer to casserole, making sure all rice is covered with liquid, and cover with snug lid or foil tightly smoothed over casserole.
- Slide onto middle oven rack and bake about 45 minutes, flavors marry, and almost all liquid is absorbed; remove and discard bay leaves.
- Dish up at table and serve.