Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Even though this is titled chicken jambalaya, there is also some ham and sausage in there for flavor. This is a great one-dish meal and pretty easy to throw together. Adapted from an Emeril Lagasse recipe.
- 8 chicken pieces, with bone
- 2 tablespoons creole seasoning or 2 tablespoons Emeril's Original Essence
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning or 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 lb andouille sausage, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
- 1⁄2 lb boneless smoked ham, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Season the chicken pieces with 2 T Creole seasoning and the salt. Heat up the oil in a heavy lidded pot over med-high heat. Add the chicken and cool until they get browned on all sides, about 8-10 minutes (work in batches if the pot gets too crowded). Take the chicken out and set it aside.
- Add the celery, bell peppers and onions and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Then add the sausage and ham and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the rice, stir to blend and cook for approximately 2 more minutes. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire and the leftover 1 t of Creole seasoning, the pepper sauce, bay leaves and thyme. Stir this all together and return the chicken to the pot, nestling the pieces into the rice mixture.
- Cover the pot and bake for about 40 minutes, or until the chicken and rice are tender. Remove from the oven and let stand for about 5 minutes (still covered). Garnish with the green onions and serve! You can also serve with additional hot sauce.
One of those wonderfully satisfying meals that has everything in it, takes very little effort to prepare, feels soo healthy and tastes so good! I did use chicken breast fillets, cubed, and I added shrimp, because I really like it in jambalaya. Otherwise, as recipe. Delicious, thank you, made for PRMR tag game