Recipe by mama smurf
One of my DH's favorite. I tweaked it a little to suit our tastes. It is really quite easy to put together, yields 2 servings and reheats well. I fix a green salad with it and garlic bread for a complete meal. Found this recipe in the "Cooking for One or Two".
Top Review by rickoholic83
Very good! I quadrupled the recipe because I was sharing with friends and we all really liked this. I had a bit of trouble getting the rice to fully cook so if you make a large batch be sure to add cooking time and possibly more broth. Also, there is cayenne listed in the directions but not on the ingredient list. I wasn't sure how much to use so I kept it safe at 1/2 tsp. All in all, this is a great recipe that I really enjoyed. Thanks for sharing, mama smurf! **Made for Fall PAC 2009**
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 lb fully cooked smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1⁄2 cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1⁄4 lb uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 0.5 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until crisp-tender.
- Add the sausage, broth, tomatoes, green pepper, jalapeno, tomato sauce, bay leaf, thyme and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil; add rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add chicken and shrimp; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink and rice is tender.
- Discard bay leaf before serving.