Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is posted by request. The original poster was "Dee"
Make and share this Chicken Jalfrezi recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger or 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and toss with salt, turmeric, chili powder and let stand for 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet over high heat add the oil, onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add Chicken, reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Add the coriander, cumin, tomatoes, green peppers and mix well.
- Cover and cook another 15 minutes.
- Add a bit of water if too thick.
- Add the tomato paste and Garam Masala, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- (at this point start removing any fat as it floats to the top) Remove from heat, taste and adjust seasonings, top with chopped cilantro and serve with rice.
This recipe deserves a whole sky "flooded" with stars! I made this for lunch this afternoon and everyone who had it says they want to have it for dinner too. I made it equivalent to 4 servings. I did use the tomato paste but the tomato slipped my sight. Generally, vegetable jalfrezi is a favourite with me, now my mom and brother say that this one's a favourite with them:) Thank you for the fabulous recipe. Will make it many many times!!
Great Recipe. I usually cook traditional bangladeshi dishes..but the jalfrezi dish was great ..turned out to be similar in taste to what you get from the indian restaurants in the UK
Very good recipe. :) I was going to post this recipe and found yours (I always do a search before posting). Very similar to what I make only I add the ginger garlic to the marinade and marinate for 2 hours. Also I saute 1/2 cup of onion paste in a little oil till golden brown and add 1/2 cup of tomato puree(instead of using tomato paste) to this and cook for 10-15 mins and keep aside. I then add this to the sliced onions when they are being sauteed. I use 2 tsp of my garam masala which contains cumin and coriander. The rest of the method is the same. I just felt I could give you my version of Chicken Jalfrezi. We enjoy this dish a lot too. I serve it normally with Indian bread. Fay