a Chicken curry from Pakistan
Make and share this Chicken Jalfrezi recipe from Food.com.
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 750 g chicken thigh fillets
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 500 g tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- heat 2 tbsp oil in a medium pot and fry onion and garlic for a few minutes on high heat (be careful not to burn onion).
- add the chicken, turmeric, chili powder and salt.
- fry over medium low heat for 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown, scraping the base of the pan frequently and turning the chicken.
- add tomatos, cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- uncover and simmer for 10 minutes so that excess liquid evaporates and the sauce thickens.
- add cumin, ground coriander, ginger and fresh coriander and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- serve hot with plain rice, pitas or naan bread.
Growing up with an Indian family, I always appreciate a good curry, and this is one of the best chicken jalfrezis I've ever tasted! It's definitely the best chicken jalfrezi I've ever made myself, and so, so easy to make from scratch.
This is an excellent recipe! I cook Pakistani dishes often, and this is a very tasty Chicken Jalfrezi. I didn't cook the recipe exactly as the directions indicated; I actually put all the spices in together after putting the chicken in to the pan. I also cooked the spices 30 minutes + rather than simmering them at small intervals. Nevertheless, I highly recommend this recipe!
Made for PAC Fall 2007. The bf is LOVING it! I'm telling you, he hardly ever gives 5 stars, and he gave this without asking! I eat this all the time at our favorite Pakistani restaurant, so it was great to find out how easy it was to re-create it at home! Seriously took no time at all, and I can imagine that adding bell peppers or other vegetables would make it double-delicious! Thank you for another great recipe, grapefruit!