Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe comes from a 1977 Houston Home and Garden magazine and is by Mary Nell Reck. It's a beautiful and impressive entrée, the golden chicken drizzled with the red sauce, surrounded by the green spinach fettuccine. I've served it to family and company many times over the years, always to rave reviews! Serve with Pasta Verde.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- parmesan cheese
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- flour (for dredging)
- 8 tablespoons butter
- For the sauce: Heat the oil in a frying pan; add the onion, sliced thin and separated into crescents, and the minced garlic.
- Stir over medium heat until the onion is golden and translucent.
- Drain the tomatoes; chop in a blender for three seconds only.
- Slowly pour the puréed tomatoes into the frying pan, stirring constantly.
- Add the seasonings; mix well and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For the chicken: Cut the chicken breast in half half horizontally by placing one hand firmly on top of the meat while carefully cutting the meat with a small, sharp knife.
- Place the thin fillets in a bowl with one egg white and stir gently with a fork to coat all the meat lightly.
- Set aside.
- Melt about 4 T of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Salt and pepper the meat lightly; dip into the flour to coat lightly.
- In a shallow bowl beat together the remaining egg yolk, the whole egg, and the 4 T of milk.
- Dip each piece of floured chicken into the egg mixture and carefully place in the hot butter.
- Sauté each fillet about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- They will be a golden color.
- Remove to a plate and keep warm as you sauté the remaining chicken.
- Add remaining butter as needed.
- To serve: Arrange the Pasta Verde (see Recipe #53245) on a large serving platter making a trench down the center.
- Place the sautéed chicken down the center in an overlapping row.
- Pour some of the sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Serve the remaining sauce in a small dish at the table.