Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Nummy Chicken, great taste!! from Canadian Diabetes Association
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons margarine, oil or 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pour tomatoes into blender or food processor.
- Add basil, tarragon, salt and pepper.
- Puree until smooth.
- Melt margarine in large frypan.
- Saute garlic over medium heat 1 minute.
- Add chicken breasts, saute, turning once or twice until golden on both sides.
- Turn chicken fleshy side down and cover with tomato mixture.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes until tender.
- Remove chicken and place fleshy side up, in a warm oven proof dish.
- Stir parsley into sauce and spoon over chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle with Mozzarella.
- Place under heated broiler 1 minute just until cheese melts.
- Diabetic- 1 chicken breast with sauce, 3 protein choices, 1/2 fruits and vegetables choice, 1 fats and oils choice.
Being a Diabetic myself, as soon as I saw that this had come fro the Canadian Diabetic Assoc. I knew I had to try it. It's nice and flavorful. I used Part Skim Mozerella cheese so that cut a bit more fat off too. Great recipe Dorothy thanks for sharing it!
Derf I loved this recipe! Adding the spices and the garlic into the whirled tomatoes really charms the taste buds. I prefer my chicken baked, so I place the boneless chicken in a baking dish, sprinkle the tops with a little dehydrated garlic, and pour the sauce over the meat. I bake it at 350 for about 45-50 minutes uncovered depending on the size of the chicken. Sometimes I simmer the sauce on the stovetop until slightly thickened before baking. I used part skim mozzarella as directed. Sometimes I leave the mozzarella off, and use a little Parmesan Cheese when serving. Plain is wonderful too. Over a little linguini even better. Thanks for a great recipe Derf. I really enjoy making it.
this was a great dish. i had a couple of friends over for dinner and one of them is a diabetic. i made this along with some steamed veggies and it was a hit! it was delicious