Recipe by Sharlene~W
This is a great recipe to pop in the oven and go out for a walk while it cooks. Takes about 10 minutes to get it in the oven and you are on your way. Serve with a green salad and garlic bread and you are set!
Top Review by NurseJaney
This is a GREAT recipe from The Big Book of Casseroles, which I was about to post and found it already on !! It makes a "good friend" gift for new moms, just out-of-the-hospital, or new neighbors. I make the entire recipe in a Dutch oven, then transfer it to a "disposable" (but reuseable) white oven container, which can take 350 degree baking, with a foil cover. (Not the one it comes with.) If you are feeling REALLY helpful, adding a bagged salad, crusty loaf of bread, and a bottle of wine makes you a Special Fairy for the day. haven't found anyone who complained !
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced lengthwise
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 chicken breast halves (skin removed) or 8 chicken thighs (skin removed)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, in thick puree
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini, rinsed and drained (white kidney beans)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olive
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for sprinkling on top
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In Dutch oven over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and saute until slightly tender, about 7 minutes.
- Remove to a plate.
- Add remaining oil and brown chicken about 5 minutes on each side.
- Drain on paper towels and remove excess grease from pan.
- Return chicken, vegetables and remaining ingredients to Dutch oven and mix gently.
- Cover and bake until chicken is no longer pink in center, about 1 hour, stirring once.