Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A simple curry recipe for all days with a rich yogurt almond sauce. For this recipe I use stabilized yogurt and it works. If you don't have it, please for more informations read: http://www.indiacurry.com/faqhints/preventyogurtcurdling.htm
- 1 kg boneless chicken (deskinned) or 4 chicken legs (deskinned)
- 14.79 ml ginger (grated)
- 29.58 ml oil
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2.46 ml red chili powder (to taste!)
- 4.92 ml coriander powder
- 4.92 ml garam masala
- 473.18 ml plain yogurt, if possible stabilized
- 3 green cardamoms, crushed
- 2 cloves
- 1 salt (to taste)
- 29.58 ml almonds (ground)
- 0 garam masala (for topping)
- 14.79 ml almonds, splits (for topping, roasted)
- Place chicken in a bowl and coat well with ginger and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a pot and roast at medium heat the chicken for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add chili, garam masala and coriander.
- Cook for 2 more minutes turning once.
- Add yogurt, cardamom, cloves and salt.
- Cook 5 minutes.
- Turn once the chicken and cook covered 20 more minutes.
- Add almond ground and cook additional 5 minutes or until through. If the sauce is not thick enough you can add more almonds ground or some roasted flour if you have.
- Place chicken with sauce on serving dishes and top with garam masala and almonds.
- Serve with rice or naans and vegetables of course!
- Note: To the spices you can add turmeric, ginger powder, cumin, curry leaves, bay leaves or simply more of the proposed quantities.
This is a delicious curry dish! The cool yogurt was a great balance to the curry flavors. I think my pan was too hot when I added the yogurt because it curdled, so make sure your pan is on a low heat and your yogurt is room temp before adding it. Nonetheless, the flavor of the chicken and the sauce was delicious - we really enjoyed - thanks for sharing the recipe!
Indeed, a simple recipe with great taste and a smooth creamy texture, very much my sort of curry! I cut my chicken into bite size pieces, prefer it that way, and since we were only 2, I cut back on the chicken but not on the sauce, so had lots of delicious sauce to enjoy with rice :) I did use a thick yoghurt, of a Greek yoghurt texture.
This was lovely, awalde, thank you, made for PRMR tag game
This chicken had a really good flavor; however, the yogurt sauce did not turn out as shown in the picture. Perhaps I should have used greek yogurt vs. plain yogurt. I will definitely try this dish again and try greek yogurt since it has a thicker consistency than regular yogurt. Made for the AUS/NZ Make My Recipe Tag, November, 2011.