Recipe by awalde
A simple curry recipe for all days with a rich yogurt almond sauce. For this recipe I use stabilized yogurt and it works. If you don't have it, please for more informations read: http://www.indiacurry.com/faqhints/preventyogurtcurdling.htm
Top Review by loof
This is a delicious curry dish! The cool yogurt was a great balance to the curry flavors. I think my pan was too hot when I added the yogurt because it curdled, so make sure your pan is on a low heat and your yogurt is room temp before adding it. Nonetheless, the flavor of the chicken and the sauce was delicious - we really enjoyed - thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 1⁄2 kg boneless chicken (deskinned) or 4 chicken legs (deskinned)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (grated)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder (to taste!)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 cups plain yogurt, if possible stabilized
- 3 green cardamoms, crushed
- 2 cloves
- 1⁄2 salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons almonds (ground)
- 1⁄4 garam masala (for topping)
- 1 tablespoon almonds, splits (for topping, roasted)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in a bowl and coat well with ginger and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a pot and roast at medium heat the chicken for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add chili, garam masala and coriander.
- Cook for 2 more minutes turning once.
- Add yogurt, cardamom, cloves and salt.
- Cook 5 minutes.
- Turn once the chicken and cook covered 20 more minutes.
- Add almond ground and cook additional 5 minutes or until through. If the sauce is not thick enough you can add more almonds ground or some roasted flour if you have.
- Place chicken with sauce on serving dishes and top with garam masala and almonds.
- Serve with rice or naans and vegetables of course!
- Note: To the spices you can add turmeric, ginger powder, cumin, curry leaves, bay leaves or simply more of the proposed quantities.