Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is elegance on a budget. I sometimes serve this over linguine instead of rice.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large chicken breasts, split,boned and skinned
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Coat chicken with the flour mixture and shake off excess flour.
- Reserve remaining flour mixture.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Brown chicken; remove from skillet and drain.
- Add remaining butter, mushrooms, onion, and 2 Tablespoons of chopped parsley; saute until onion is transparent.
- Stir in reserved flour.
- Blend in wine.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Serve over rice and garnish with remaining parsley.
Quick and easy enough for a weeknight meal, but elegant and complex enough to be something special.
Used two whole, boneless, skinless chicken breasts to serve two people. Like another reviewer I used a tad too much flour in the sauce, so added some water after the wine. Would have used more wine or chicken stock if I had it on hand, but I didn't, and the water didn't seem to negatively affect the flavour of the finished dish. Nixed the mushrooms all together (husband isn't a fan), but added instead 3 slices of cooked bacon, finely chopped, for depth of flavour. Upped the onion, probably close to double, using one small onion, very finely chopped. My husband isn't a fan of onion either, but he loved this dish and so did I. Will definitely go into our rotation.
Quick easy weeknight meal with great flavor. I had some red potatoes I wanted to serve with this, so I cut the potatoes into wedges and steamed them in the microwave while the chicken and vegetables were browning in the skillet. Then I added the potatoes to the skillet with the chicken for the final cooking step. Wonderful meal.
A delicious, easy meal. I didn't have fresh mushrooms so I used canned. I also added about 1/2 cup of chicken broth to thin out the sauce since I used a little to much flour to thicken it and needed to thin it out a little. We really enjoyed this recipe. Thanks.