Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Made extra tasty with garlic and bacon, this dish is also delicious made with red wine.
Make and share this Chicken in White Wine Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 3 slices bacon
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons herbes de provence
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (5 -6 lb) roasting chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups white wine
- 1 (16 ounce) package baby carrots
- 1 lb small red potato, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels, reserving 2 T. dripping in skillet. Chop bacon; reserve.
- Mix next 4 ingredients. Toss chicken pieces with flour mixture to coat. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook, turning, until browned, 7 minutes.
- Remove chicken; drain fat from skillet. Add onion and garlic to skillet. Cook, stirring, until onions are softened.
- Increase heat to medium-high; stir in wine, scraping bits from bottom of pan. Return chicken to pan; add carrots, potatoes and bacon. Cover; on medium-low, cook 1 hour. Uncover; increase heat to medium-high; cook 10 minutes. Stir in parsley.
I made my own Herbs de Provence as I had none on hand. I too was worried about all that wine and no broth or water but decided to go along with the recipe. I also threw in some mushrooms I needed to use up. I want to tell you those were the best tasting potatoes and carrots ever. The chicken was great too although I was not happy about the soggy breading on the chicken by adding it back to the pan with the rest of the ingredients for an hour. Next time I will fry the chicken separate and add it when everything is about to be served. I will throw the left over flour mixture into the vegetables as they cook so I get that same wonderful taste I got tonight. Made for Chef Alphabet Soup.
OMG, this is so good!! I reduced the servings and made with 4 b/s chicken thighs but otherwise followed the recipe. This has a great flavor; I am not a wine drinker so was not sure I would like this since the sauce was just wine, but there was not a strong wine flavor. Will be making this again! Going into my Best of 2011 Cookbook!! Made for Newest Zaar Tag.