Recipe by Single Mom
A simple and quick main dish. Very flavorable and aromatic. A favorite among my friends.
- 3 medium red onions
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 3 inches piece fresh ginger (peeled & sliced)
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 12 green cardamom pods (broken open)
- 16 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander seed
- 5 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white peppercorns (or black)
- 3 whole dried red chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Mince onions, garlic, and ginger (set aside).
- Combine oil, cinnamon, cardamon, cloves, cumin, coriander seeds, bay leaves, peppercorns, and red chiles in a large skillet over a medium heat. Cook, stirring, until the cinnamon unfurls and the other ingredients are lightly brown (about 1-2 mins).
- Add onion mix and salt; continue cooking until onions are lightly brown (about 15 mins). Keep a cup of water nearby until the onion cooks. As the pieces caramalize in the bottom of pan and add 1 tsp of water at a time. Scrape the bottom of the pan and stir. Do this until the onions are golden.
- Add the ground coriander and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add 3 tblspns of yogurt and cook while stirring until the yogurt is blended. Continue adding yogurt in this manner until you've used all the yogurt.
- Add the chicken and cook while stirring (about 5 mins). Add hot water and stir. Bring to a boil then turn the heat down to low. Cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through (additional 5 mins).
- Stir in the garam masala and cook, stirring (2 mins). Stir in heavy cream and remove from the heat.
- Let the dish rest for about an hour. When ready to serve heat overa low heat and drizzle with a little heat cream.