Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Posting for ZWT 6 North African
- 1 whole chicken, 3 to 4 pounds, rinsed, patted dry, and cut into 8 pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 carrots, med. halved crosswise then halved or quartered lengthwise depending on thickness
- 2 turnips, sliced 1/4-inch thick, then cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans, cooked, 1/2 cup cooking liquid reserved
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat butter and oil in 12-inch sauté pan over medium-high heat. When butter foaming subsides, add chicken; sauté until browned on both sides, moving around to brown evenly, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Discard all but thin film of fat from pan. Add onion, carrots, and turnips; sauté, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, until pan juices evaporate, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Return chicken and accumulated juices to pan, moving vegetables to top. Add thyme sprigs, spices, chickpeas, and reserved chickpea cooking liquid; bring to boil. Lower heat, cover, and barely simmer until chicken is cooked through, basting three or four times, about 25 minutes. Place portion of chicken on each plate; top with vegetables. Ladle juices over both chicken and vegetables and serve immediately.