Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mom's recipe (not sure where it originated), for another one of my favorite comfort foods. This tasty one-dish meal is similar to a chicken pot pie filling with Jiffy cornbread baked on top. The blend of flavors in the filling mix well with the moist sweet cornbread for a delicious, simple meal. This recipe can easily be doubled but you may need to bake in two separate dishes.
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 slices onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup frozen carrots
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimiento
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash poultry seasoning
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix filling ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until filling begins to bubble, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients in a separate bowl and mix by hand until blended.
- Remove filling ingredients from stove and pour into an 8"x8" casserole dish.
- Spoon cornbread mixture over the top of filling leaving about 1" on all sides uncovered.
- Place on rack in center of oven and bake for 30-40 min or until cornbread is a dark golden brown and filling bubbles around the edges.
- Let cool for about 10 min before serving. (I like to spread a little butter on my cornbread before serving!).