Recipe by emjohnson
This recipe came from a Williams-Sonoma cookbook. It is wonderful served with lemon risotto.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- fresh lemon juice, to taste (optional)
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large sauté pan or fry pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter with the olive oil.
- When hot, add the chicken, season with salt and pepper and sauté until cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a warmed plate and keep warm.
- Pour off any excess fat from the pan and place the pan over medium-low heat. Add the shallot and sauté, stirring, until translucent, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tarragon and cream, increase the heat to medium and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up any browned bits from the pan bottom and blending well. Cook, stirring, until bubbling and thickened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Return the chicken to the pan and turn each breast several times in the sauce until well coated and hot.
- Transfer the chicken to a warmed serving plate or individual plates and spoon the remaining sauce over the chicken.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.