Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Superb with rice or mashed potatoes as an accompaniment.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 garlic cloves (roughly chopped)
- 1 lemon (cut into wedges)
- 9 fluid ounces white wine
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 50 g butter
- 40 g flour
- 275 ml milk
- 150 ml cream
- 150 ml wine stock
- 15 g tarragon (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- Preheat oven gas 4/180°C/350°F.
- Place chicken breasts in an oval oven proof dish.
- Sprinkle over garlic, season, add lemon wedges.
- Mix together wine and oil in a measuring jug and pour over the chicken.
- Place two sprigs of tarragon on top. (If you cannot get fresh 2-3 tsp freeze dried.) Cover with foil. Place in oven for 45 minutes approx until chicken is cooked.
- Make the sauce- melt the butter in a pan and add the flour. Mix together to form a roux. Remove from the heat, gradually beat in milk, wine stock from the chicken and cream.
- Return to heat and bring to the boil. Turn down to a gentle heat and simmer 6-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, taste and season. Add chopped tarragon (5 tsp dried) and brandy. Whisk inches.
- Arrange chicken in a serving dish discarding the tarragon and lemon.
- Pour over the sauce, garnish with a sprig of tarragon and lemon wedges.