1/1 Photo of Chicken in sweet and hot pepper sauce
If you don't like it hot, leave out the peppers and cayenne; I would think you end up with a nice sweet sauce but without "the kick". You can use parsley if you are not a basil fan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 sweet red peppers, seeded and roughly chopped (approx ¾ -1 lb)
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds or 3 tablespoons ground almonds
- 1 -2 red chili pepper, roughly chopped,seeds removed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts or 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken thighs, thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, finely cubed
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup torn basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
- 1Put the first 6 ingredients in your blender or food processor and process into a paste/pulp.
- 2Heat the oil in a large frying pan or Dutch oven, when hot enough pour the pepper paste in and on a medium high heat fry for 10 minutes.
- 3Add the milk and chicken stock.
- 4Then add the chicken and stir, add the zucchini a few minutes later.
- 5Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 10- 15 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- 6In the meantime cook the pasta according package instructions, drain when cooked, and put in a large warm dish.
- 7Check the seasoning of the chicken dish, If you find the sauce too thick you can add some more chicken stock, it depends how much moisture the zucchini will release, add half of the basil, mix and put half of the chicken on top of the pasta, mix, then pour over the remaining.
- 8Sprinkle the rest of the basil on top together with the pine nuts.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken in sweet and hot pepper sauce
Serving Size: 1 (506 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 919.3
- Calories from Fat 400
- Total Fat 44.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 118.9 mg
- Sodium 195.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 48.8 g