Recipe by Pets'R'us
If you don't like it hot, leave out the peppers and cayenne; I would think you end up with a nice sweet sauce but without "the kick". You can use parsley if you are not a basil fan.
Top Review by Bergy
Great flavor with a nice textured sauce. Next time I would omit the zucchini I did not find that it added anything to the flavpr. The basil & pine nuts sprinkled over the finished product is a nice touch Thanks whoever you are for a very tasty pasta dish
- 2 -3 sweet red peppers, seeded and roughly chopped (approx ¾ -1 lb)
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds or 3 tablespoons ground almonds
- 1 -2 red chili pepper, roughly chopped,seeds removed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts or 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken thighs, thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, finely cubed
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup torn basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the first 6 ingredients in your blender or food processor and process into a paste/pulp.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or Dutch oven, when hot enough pour the pepper paste in and on a medium high heat fry for 10 minutes.
- Add the milk and chicken stock.
- Then add the chicken and stir, add the zucchini a few minutes later.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 10- 15 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- In the meantime cook the pasta according package instructions, drain when cooked, and put in a large warm dish.
- Check the seasoning of the chicken dish, If you find the sauce too thick you can add some more chicken stock, it depends how much moisture the zucchini will release, add half of the basil, mix and put half of the chicken on top of the pasta, mix, then pour over the remaining.
- Sprinkle the rest of the basil on top together with the pine nuts.