Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Luscious company fare, very rich and tasty.
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 pieces chicken (I use breasts)
- 1⁄2 bottle white wine
- 2 ounces butter
- 1⁄2 pint heavy cream
- 4 ounces Stilton cheese (grated, or more if desired)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 -2 ounce flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Chop onion, crush garlic and fry in butter, put into casserole dish with the chicken pieces, bay leaf, mushrooms and wine.
- Season to taste.
- Cook in 325 oven for 20 minutes or until cooked.
- SAUCE: Put some butter in a pan and add flour to make a roux, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Strain wine from the casserole and keep the chicken warm.
- Add wine to the roux with the cream and stir constantly on a very low heat until smooth.
- Add the stilton, pour over top of chicken and sprinkle with parsley.
Very yummy and very saucy. I realize that I did more things to this dish to make it turn out the way I wanted it to. So, I hope you are not offended but here are the additions: cooking the onion and garlic until very, very soft. Put them into the casserole dish. Then browned the chicken on all sides. Put that in the dish. Deglazed the pan with the wine and let the wine bubble down a bit. Put that in the dish, and then continued from there. I think that if you don't do these steps then it would have a raw kind of taste even though everything is technically cooked. The colour comes out golden instead of just white as well.