Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a really tasty, low fat dish. If you don't have time to marinade the chicken, don't bother. It really needs at least one hour, even better with longer. It comes from a Family Circle cookbook entitled "healthy eating". Cooking time is listed as the marinading time. This is not the kind of dish that you can run off and do other things while cooking it. You really do need to stand there..
- 10 g dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger (i have successfully used jarred ginger but fresh is best)
- 800 g chicken breasts (4)
- 500 g bok choy
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- Soak the mushrooms in a little boiling water, around 1/4 cup, for twenty mins.
- Drain, reserving the liquid.
- Remove the stalks and slice mushrooms thinly.
- Combine soy, rice wine, sesame oil and ginger in a bowl.
- Add chicken and coat well.
- Marinade in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Bring a pot or wok filled with water to boil.
- The steamer is to sit on top, so select one that fits.
- Line a bamboo steamer with baking paper.
- Place chicken in steamer, reserving marinade.
- Put lid on and place over the boiling water.
- Steam for six minutes.
- Turn over and steam for an additional six minutes.
- While this is happening, prepare the bok choy.
- Wash it very well to remove all grit.
- Slice it into quarters lengthwise.
- Top the chicken with the bok choy, and steam for an additional 3 minutes.
- Do not overcook.
- Combine reserved marinade and mushroom liquid and mushrooms in a small saucepan.
- Boil for two to three minutes.
- Add enough stock to cornflour to make a smooth paste.
- Add paste and remaining stock to saucepan.
- Stir over a medium heat for 2 minutes, until sauce thickens.
- Serve on a bed of rice, and bok choy.
- Arrange mushrooms decoratively on the chicken and drizzle with the sauce.
This is a wonderful dish. The chicken turned out very tender, juicy and flavorful. The marinade adds a wonderful flavor to the chicken. I let the chicken marinate about 2 hours. This is a dish that will be making a repeat performance in this household. Thanks so much for sharing this, Syrah, we loved it.
Very Good, easier to make then it looks with so many steps. Next time I am not going use as much rice wine. Other than that the recipe is great and I will be making it again. we loved the chicken it was so juicy.