Recipe by English_Rose
With a subtle tang and delicious hint of sweetness, this mouth-watering, sophisticated dish is perfect for any occasion. Serve with mashed sweet potatoes and griddled baby leeks.
Top Review by SHankDeadleft
Couldn't find sherry vinegar in my local grocery stores so replaced that with half sherry cooking wine and half malt vinegar. It came out very nicely and I'd have to say the original description is spot on. Healthy comfort food with the added sophistication coming from the sherry. Did think it might benefit from something to balance the sweetness but couldn't put my finger on it. Perhaps just more garlic. Thanks!
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens, cut into pieces
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 8 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large casserole dish and add butter. Add chicken and cook until skin side is golden brown.
- Add the onion, garlic and carrots to the chicken, along with half the sherry vinegar.
- Cover, reduce the heat, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, deseed and skin the tomatoes. Heat the oil in another pan and add the tomatoes, cook slowly for 10 minutes and take off the heat.
- Remove the chicken from the large pan and keep warm. Reduce the cooking liquid until almost dry. Add the rest of the vinegar and reduce by half.
- Put the chicken back in, add the tomatoes and parsley. Season and serve with mashed sweet potatoes and griddled baby leeks.