Recipe by Minxkat1
This is one of my favorite ways to 'do up' chicken. I adapted it from an Old Bon Appetite recipe. I usually serve it with Italian bread, steamed green beans, and mashed potatoes to soak up the flavorful sauce. I used Lennie's wonderful Turkey Stock in place of the Chicken broth the last time I made this - it worked wonderfully!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 chicken pieces
- 6 -10 shallots, peeled & coarsely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- I use an electric frying pan with a lid to make this recipe.
- Pour olive oil into pan, heat to 375 F.
- Add chicken, sprinkle salt, pepper and a generous amount of Paprika over chicken to taste.
- Turn chicken and fry until both sides are golden, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plate.
- Add shallots to frying pan.
- Stir up any brown bits, cover and let cook, stirring occasionally until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Put chicken back in pan, on top of onions.
- Add bay leaves to pan, pour wine over top of chicken.
- Heat until most of wine has evaportated, leaving a syrupy mixture, about another 8 minutes.
- Pour chicken (or turkey) broth over chicken.
- Turn heat down to 325 F, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan, whisk in whipping cream (not whipped) and nutmeg until incoporated into the sauce.
- Return chicken to pan, turning to coat with sauce, and warm on low heat for about five minutes.