Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the first thing I'll make when our remodel is over and I have an oven again. So easy, so healthy, so inexpensive, and such a favorite with kids and adults alike. Pretty enough on the plate for a dinner party, but hearty enough to feed the guys on game day. You can substitute hot or mild salsa to suit your individual tastes.
- 8 chicken pieces (I prefer thighs)
- 8 tablespoons medium hot salsa (Use a little more for breasts)
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese or 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Remove the skin from the chicken pieces. If you leave it on it will NOT crisp but rather will become unpleasantly soggy -- even downright rubbery.
- Arrange chicken pieces on a baking sheet.
- Top each piece with a tbs of your favorite salsa. I prefer the Pace brand and usually use medium heat.
- Bake at 350 about 45-60 minute or until chicken is tender.
- Top each piece with shredded cheese.
- Return to oven for about 5-10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and browning.
- I like to serve these with either white rice or cornbread and a green salad.
Yummy, yummy! I used green salsa because I needed to use it up. I also brined my boneless breasts in water, sugar and salt. SO Moist and tasty. Thank you so much!
It's hard to believe that something so simple and easy can be so good. I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts (because that's what I had handy), and considerably more than a tablespoon of salsa per piece. Delicious. I'll use it again with other chicken pieces, and I'll use it with the breasts for my next dinner party (yes, it's that good!).
Since there are just two of us I cut the recipe in half, using chicken breasts. I covered the whole thing with monterey jack cheese and served over brown rice. Super easy and tasty, would make again.