1/1 Photo of Chicken in Riesling (Coq Au Vin Blanc)
1 hr 15 mins
Chandra M's Note:
This is a tasty version of the French classic. The sauce is smooth & creamy with a mild earthiness. I was very impressed. I found the recipe in a group of Alsatian recipes in Gourmet March 2008.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs whole chickens, skin on, cut in pieces with the backbone removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 medium leeks, white & pale green parts finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 4 medium carrots, halved diagonally
- 1 cup dry white wine (preferably Riesling)
- 1 lb small red potato, about 2-inch in diameter
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- lemon juice, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 350*F.
- 2Pat chicken dry and sprinkle generously with salt & pepper.
- 3Heat oil & 1 tbsp butter in large dutch oven until foaming subsides.
- 4In 2 batches, brown chicken on both sides, flipping once. About 5minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- 5Meanwhile wash the leeks thoroughly and chop vegetables.
- 6Pour the fat from the pan, then add the remaining butter (2TBSP). Cook the leeks, shallot, and about 1/4 tsp salt in the pan, covered until the leeks are just beginning to brown, about 7 minutes.
- 7Add the chicken (skin side up) and any accumulated juices, carrots, and wine. Boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- 8Cover the dutch oven and place in the oven for 25 minutes (you can turn off the oven and leave the chicken in for about another 15 minutes if you need the additional time).
- 9While the chicken is in the oven, place the potatoes and 1 tsp salt in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 10Drain potatoes and return to saucepan. Add the parsley and shake to coat.
- 11When you remove the chicken from the oven, add the cream. Season to taste with the lemon juice, salt , and pepper.
- 12Add the potatoes and serve.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken in Riesling (Coq Au Vin Blanc)
Serving Size: 1 (641 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 982.3
- Calories from Fat 577
- Total Fat 64.1 g
- Saturated Fat 24.4 g
- Cholesterol 250.8 mg
- Sodium 258.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 49.0 g