Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Patricia Wells' Bistro Cooking, a classic French dish.
Make and share this Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar recipe from Food.com.
- Brown the seasoned chicken in batches in the butter with a bit of oil as well to stop it burning.
- Drain fat from skillet and return chicken to skillet.
- Slowly pour the vinegar into the hot pan to deglaze. Stand back from fumes!
- Over med-high heat, reduce the vinegar by about half, turning chicken periodically to bathe it.
- Add tomatoes and stock, cover and simmer gently until flavours melded and mingled, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat, set aside the chicken and keep warm.
- In the pan, whisk in a knob of butter for a beautiful shiny sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and then strew with herbs.
- Enjoy with a potato gratin or creamy mash and steamed green beans ( for example ).
Fantastic! This was a simple recipe for a midweek meal, so easy to prepare and exceptionally flavorful. I have this recipe in my favorites and I will be making this again. Followed directions exactly, made enough for dinner and lunch tomorrow. Thank you for posting!
This was sooooo good! We loved the intense vinegar taste. I served it with the very mild Buttered Wine Rice, #216575, and it worked well together. I used boneless skinless thighs in place of the whole chicken, and I halved the amount of butter and olive oil, and it turned out great. Thanks Aunty Dotty! Made for PAC Fall 2007.
Oh yeah! We loved this! In fact, I saved the extra sauce & froze it to simmer some boneless whatevers in it later. Made for "I've saved all these recipes!" March Diabetic Tag.