Recipe by Sue Lau
An easy to make Thai curry that you can substitute other vegetables in if you like. Goes great with jasmine rice. Recipe posted by request.
Top Review by lokiandme_1249891
We loved this recipe! I took one reviewers advise and kept the curry to 1 Tbsp and used 4 instead of 5 lime leaves, but we couldn't pick out the taste of the leaves in the recipe, so I don't know how 4 vs 5 leaves would make a difference, unless they weren't there at all. Also, for the chilis, I used 2 one inch long peppers from those pickled in a bottle, and removed the seeds. Not too hot, not too mild - just right. Anyway, I followed the rest of the recipe as written and I wouldn't change anything I did next time.
- 1 lb diced boneless chicken
- 1 -2 tablespoon red curry paste
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup sweet basil
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, halved
- 1 -3 fresh hot red chili pepper, sliced lengthwise into narrow strips (amount to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced zucchini
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 5 ounces sliced bamboo shoots
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons palm sugar or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat about 1/2 the coconut milk to a boil in a large pan.
- Stir in the red curry paste.
- Add the chicken, reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the rest of the coconut milk, water, bamboo shoots, sugar, and fish sauce and return to a boil.
- Stir in the zucchini, kaffir lime leaves, and hot chillies.
- Cook several minutes or until zucchini are done to your liking.
- Garnish with sweet basil before serving.
- Serve with hot rice, if desired.