Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Created this little gem of a dish on a day off from work. Turned out fabulously! Super simple recipe and takes no time to make if using pre-cooked chicken (can also be made with leftover turkey).
- 2 lbs cooked chicken or 2 lbs cooked turkey, cooled and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 (540 ml) can pumpkin (not pie filling, just regular pumpkin)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon minced garlic (according to tastes)
- 1 -2 teaspoon coarse salt (according to taste)
- Start on a medium temperature.
- In a large pot (I have an electric deep sided frying pan), add the applesauce, garlic and pumpkin together.
- Add just enough apple juice to loosen the sauce to coat the back of a spoon lightly.
- Season with salt.
- Heat thoroughly, adjusting seasoning according to taste.
- Add meat and simmer on low until heated all the way through.
- Serve with your choice of potato, noodle or rice, vegetable and of course some nice multi-grain bread to wipe up all that yummy sauce!
This is terrific, true! Used cooked chicken made like this too! http://www.recipezaar.com/211489 Pureed my own pumpkin, added LOTS of black pepper too, And also cos used no sugar added, added 1/2 tsp sugar, TRUE! Couldn't resist adding chilli flakes...but is me, REALLY good recipe! THANKS!