Recipe by evelyn/athens
Very delicious and a nice presentation! Creamy/cheesy chicken wrapped in flaky pastry.
Top Review by Bev
Awesome! This was my first try at using puff pastry and my fears have vanished! It is so easy to use, I can't believe I have not tried it until now : ) This is a simple recipe and provides wonderful results. It is elegant enough to serve to company and tasty and simple enough to serve to family when the impulse presents itself. Thank you so much for this recipe, Evelyn/athens! I am so honored to add this one to my company worthy collection of recipes!
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh basil leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 egg, well-beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 430 degrees F.
- Combine cheese, basil, garlic, salt and pepper in processor until smooth and basil is finely chopped.
- Unfold both pieces of pastry carefully.
- Roll out on lightly-floured surface to 14 x 10 inch rectangle about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut in half crosswise into 7 x 10 inch rectangle; repeat with second sheet of pastry.
- Spread ¼ of cheese mixture lengthwise, in approximate size of chicken breast, across center of each rectangle.
- Place chicken breast over, skinned side down.
- Lift long sides of pastry to meet in center over top of chicken; pinch overlap and short ends to enclose chicken snuggly.
- Trim away excess pastry leaving pinched overlap.
- Arrange seam side down, 2 inches apart, on a greased baking sheet; brush generously with beaten egg.
- Bake until puffed and golden and chicken is cooked through, 18-22 minutes.
- Note: Using Boursin Cheese in this recipe in place of the cream cheese is very nice, too.