Recipe by LynnG #2
A fabulous southwestern chicken dish with a savory nutty and slightly spicy sauce. This came from "Cooking with Love from Arizona".
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1⁄4 cup blanched almond
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup parsley (definitely the cilantro!!) or 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, chopped (definitely the cilantro!!)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh)
- 4 large chicken breast halves, skinned and boned
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, toast pumpkin seeds, almonds and cumin seeds over low heat, shaking pan, until almonds are golden brown.
- In blender or food processor, grind toasted mixture.
- Add onion, garlic, chilies, cilantro and 1 cup broth. Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into medium saucepan. Stir in remaining broth and lemon juice.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté chicken until browned.
- Reduce heat to low, pour pumpkin seeds sauce over chicken and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink and sauce is thick.